In 2008, an economic downturn started an alarming trend: more than half of the country’s school districts experienced permanent cuts to local and state funding. With little hope of government support returning, community leaders turned to local education foundations. And in 2008, the National School Foundation Association went to work, actively connecting, supporting and leading the education foundation movement. More than 600 foundations have joined our ranks as members. Our organization has trained hundreds of foundation executives on program management, successful fundraising and community engagement. We support seven state associations tailored to helping members solve those unique, local education funding problems. And we are just getting started. Every day, the local education foundation movement becomes more critical to sustaining and improving our schools. And at the National School Foundation Association, we are committed to making sure members like you lead the way.
The National School Foundation Association is the recognized leader of the PreK-12 education foundation movement in the United States, providing training and support for their development and quest to increase student success through philanthropic investment and involvement.
The mission of the National School Foundation Association is to provide support, training, and resources to education foundations and their leaders to maximize their success.
The NSFA fulfills its mission by
- Being a thought leader and source of expertise to education foundations
- Providing industry-leading training to education foundation leaders, boards, staff, school boards, and district personnel
- Communicating benchmarks for successful education foundations
- Assisting districts in the creation and development of local education foundations
- Supporting the development of state associations and chapters of education foundations